Ovulation Induction (OI) & Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
What is Ovulation Induction ?
Encourage the ovaries to develop and release through drug therapy. It increases the chance of conception through planned intercourse and vaccination method.
Who can benefit from Ovulation Induction?
Ovulation Induction is suitable for couples where women who do not have fallopian tube obstruction and have normal semen analysis of the male partner.
What medications are used for stimulating the ovary ?
Drugs used in ovulation induction may include:
The drug used to promote ovulation in women who cannot produce eggs in the normal way encourages the body to produce follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). If a woman has irregular or long menstrual cycles, this is the most commonly used medication.
Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH)
FSH hormone injections can be used to stimulate the number of follicles developing in the ovary, and hence the number of eggs laid during a cycle. Another hormone hCG can be used in injection form to trigger ovulation after follicles have been developed.
Ovarian stimulation Process
Our doctors evaluate the ovulation cycle with blood tests to measure hormone levels at specific stages of the cycle. In addition to blood tests, an ultrasound evaluation is performed to examine the development of follicles in the ovaries and the thickness and appearance of the uterine lining.
- Your ovaries are stimulated with medicines to stimulate the growth of egg-containing follicles. Our doctors will discuss the most appropriate medicine or combination of drugs for your condition.There is a fine line between the body's over responsiveness and the desired responses from these applications. Therefore, it is an important detail for the applied couples to become aware of this issue and pay attention to the selection of specialist doctors and centers. Get detailed information about Over Stimulation of the ovaries.
- It is closely monitored by ultrasound and / or blood tests to check the number and size of developing follicles. Monitoring is critical to reduce the risk of multiple pregnancy.
- Planned Intercourse or Insemination Method (IUI)
- Approaching the time of ovulation, our doctors will recommend the most appropriate day for sexual intercourse to maximize your chances of pregnancy or for insemination (IUI) treatment in which the sperm is placed in the uterus.
What is Intrauterine insemination (IUI)?Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a fertility treatment that involves placing sperm into the uterus of the woman to facilitate fertilization. The goal of vaccination is to increase the number of sperm reaching the fallopian tubes and then increase the chance of fertilization.With Intrauterine insemination (IUI), sperm gains functional advantage; however, it still requires a certain sperm to reach and fertilize the egg itself. It is used in the treatment of fertility as a simpler and less expensive option than IVF treatment.
When is it used?Erectile dysfunctionHaving antibodies that damage sperm cells in womenPeople with endometriosisPeople with unexplained infertilityIn order to perform this method ideally, the sperm quality should be at a certain level and the woman should not have obstruction in the fallopian tubes.
Treatment RisksThe drugs used in the vaccination treatment may cause more than one follicle development in the ovaries, the possibility of multiple pregnancies may increase. In addition, medications used in therapy may, on rare occasions, cause hypersensitivity in some individuals or may not respond to such medications, which may delay the treatment to the next menstrual period. Finally, the follicle may crack earlier than expected due to an increase in the LH hormone; this causes treatment to be postponed to the next menstrual period.
Success RateThe rate of obtaining pregnancy by Intrauterine insemination is between 15-20%. This method can be tried 4-5 times in suitable pairs. ICSI / IMSI / IVF should be used in couples who cannot get pregnancy by Intrauterine insemination(IUI), especially if they have age problems.
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) Treatment Processes
Ovarian Stimulation and DevelopmentStimulation of the ovaries, which is considered to be one of the first procedures performed in assisted reproductive treatments, is the process of assisting the formation of healthy and efficient egg cells by supplementing with various drugs in order to increase the chance of pregnancy. The ovaries are stimulated by medication, which results in healthier follicles during ovulation.After the treatment is started, the control examination is performed at regular intervals and the number and size of the follicles developing by vaginal ultrasonography are checked. Estrogen examination in the blood may be required depending on the condition of the ovaries observed on ultrasound.
Egg StimulationThe eggs that reach a certain maturity and quality during the stimulation process are ready for egg collection process 34-35 hours after the application of the cracking needle. At this stage, timing is crucial to achieve the expected success: the needle should be applied correctly at the specified time.
Preparation of semenIn the vaccination method, sperm preparation consists of the best selection and concentration of the sperm.
On the day of vaccination, the sperm sample taken from the man is subjected to a series of procedures and the sperm cells which are most likely to fertilize the egg cell are separated and injected into the uterus with the help of a plastic cannula called catheter.
- It does not require anesthesia as it is a painless procedure.
- If there is no special case, it takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
- After the vaccination is complete, you can return to your daily routine.
- It does not require any restriction in your sexual life after the procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can benefit from Intrauterine insemination (IUI) ?
The eligibility criteria for the vaccination procedure is healthy egg development opportunity for women whereas men have qualified sperm.
Intrauterine insemination (IUI) may be used if there are problems in the ovulation function such as polycystic ovary or if there is a reasonable decrease in male sperm quality.
- How should I prepare before insemination?
- Men should avoid the use of substances such as cigarettes or alcohol that affect sperm quality. Women should not have any discomfort such as vaginal infection on the day of the procedure. Vaginal cosmetic use should be avoided.
- Should I rest after insemination?
insemination is completed in a very short time, such as a few minutes. No pain is felt. After resting for 10-15 minutes after the procedure, daily life flow can be continued.
- How many times can Intrauterine insemination (IUI) treatment be tried?
- If pregnancy cannot be achieved with 6 vaccination applications in vaccination treatment, it is recommended to switch to IVF treatment without losing any more time.