Half uterus can be seen as a result of the nondevelopment of any of the Mullerian canals (right or left) in the embryological period. In some cases, a small non-functional uterus may remain on the other side. If the unilateral uterus is well developed, a normal pregnancy can develop.
Unicornuate uterus leads to the following complications:
- Intraabdominal mass
- Abortion in the early period of pregnancy
- Recurrent pregnancy losses
- Fetal developmental delay
- Positional anomalies in the fetus
- Premature birth
Treatment of unicornuate uterus
- The upper and lateral walls of the uterus are expanded hysteroscopically.
- Intrauterine device application for 1 month
- Balloon application
- Hormone therapy